how do I access gnome/kde desktop from windows

Michael Velez mikev777 at hotmail.com
Wed May 30 07:59:26 UTC 2007

If you are running redhat enterprise linux on the other side, the linux box
already has a vnc server installed.  No need to install a new one.  All you
need is to execute a few instructions as the vnc user and as the root user
to get it going.  If your linux machine is very remote, X will be very very
slow, even if you compress the data stream. I've tried it and it was
unusable.  With vnc, I have a great connection even if I'm in the US and my
linux server is in Europe.  If you do want to run X, I installed cygwin/X on
my windows machine.  Either way you go, you should port forward X or VNC
through ssh.

If you use VNC, on the windows side, you can install the ultravnc viewer.

I use the setup above (VNC server on linux and ultravnc viewer on windows)
and it works fine.

Below, I included the procedures I wrote for myself to get the vnc server on
linux going.  These work for me, but you may not have the same setup.

Michael

EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING AS THE USER WHO WILL BE RUNNING A VNC SERVER INSTANCE
(i.e. the user you want to log into, not root)

- Choose a vnc password and create the configuration files by executing the
following command at the prompt:

$ vncserver
$ killall Xvnc

- Edit the ~/.vnc/xstartup file:

	- Uncomment the following lines:

	# unset SESSION_MANAGER
	# exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

	to make them look like this:

	unset SESSION_MANAGER
	exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

	- Replace the last line in the file :

	twm &

	with this line:

	exec gnome-session &

EXECUTE THE FOLLOWING AS THE ROOT USER

- Edit the /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file and replace the word myusername
with the linux user name who will be running a VNC instance:

	#VNCSERVERS="1:myusername"

	And make sure the VNCSERVERARGS line looks like this:

	VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 800x650 -nolisten tcp -nohttpd"

- Edit the /etc/init.d/vncserver file and replace this line:

	# chkconfig: - 91 35

	with this line:

	# chkconfig: 345 91 35

- Add the vncserver to the list of services to be started at boot time by
executing the following command while in the /etc/init.d directory:

	# chkconfig -del vncserver
	# chkconfig -add vncserver

- Verify the vncserver has been turned on for levels 3, 4, and 5 by
executing this command:

	# chkconfig -list vncserver

- The VNC server will now start at boot time; however, you can manually
start it immediately by executing the following command:

	# service vncserver restart