trying to build kernel but getting error

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Fri Sep 28 17:42:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 07:37 -0400, jim ruxton wrote:
> Hi ,
> I'm trying to compile a kernel and in building an rpm for it I get an
> error when trying to include a patch. I'm following instructions here:
> http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora
>
> When issuing this command:
>
> rpmbuild -bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
>
> to build  an rpm after editing kernel-2.6.spec  by entering the new
> patch ie. patch-2.6.22.9.bz2 I get the following:
>
> Building target platforms: i686
> Building for target i686
> Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.86565
> + umask 022
> + cd /root/rpmbuild/BUILD
> + LANG=C
> + export LANG
> + unset DISPLAY
> + '[' '!' -d kernel-2.6.18/vanilla ']'
> + cd kernel-2.6.18
> + '[' -d linux-2.6.18.i686 ']'
> + rm -rf deleteme
> + mv linux-2.6.18.i686 deleteme
> + rm -rf deleteme
> + cp -rl vanilla linux-2.6.18.i686
> + cd linux-2.6.18.i686
> + echo 'Patch #1 (patch-2.6.22.9.bz2):'
> Patch #1 (patch-2.6.22.9.bz2):
> + /usr/bin/bzip2 -d
> + patch -p1 -s
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
>

> What does this last line mean?

It means that the patch you're trying to apply has already been applied.
In other words, the kernel RPM you're installing already has that patch
as part of it.  If you look in the spec file from the RPM, you'll
probably find that patch listed, although it may not be named the
same.  Patch only cares about what it actually sees in the patch file
and the file to be patched...it doesn't care what the patchfile itself
is named.

>  Why doesn't it like the patch
> patch-2.6.22.9.bz2  . Thanks for any insights. I figure I'll try
> compiling a kernel for my machine to see if I can get something stable.

I'm starting to think you have other issues.  Have you updated the BIOS
on this machine?

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -