IMAP Login fails

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Sep 17 16:49:14 UTC 2008

Karl Pearson wrote:
> On Tue, September 16, 2008 6:59 pm, Rick Stevens wrote:

>> I meant your connection to Squirrelmail.  It sounds like it's via https
>> on port 443 (which would require SSL), but I could be wrong.
>
> I have https up, but don't use it for email. I'm thinking of switching to it,
> however. So, still why would it end up in ssl_error_log? One thing I noticed
> while tinkering around with Dovecot was that alpine connected and the logs
> said it was using TLS, even though that's turned off for alpine, too.

SSL and TLS are very similar beasts.  Most TLS stuff is actually SSL
behind the scenes, so any TLS stuff would most likely log in SSL
locations.

As to Dovecot, I think it negotiates the "safest" connection it can.  If
it can negotiate an SSL/TLS session with the client, it does so.  It may
be that Squirrelmail does as well.  It's been a long time since I really
dug into that stuff.  I only had a cursory glance as Squirrelmail way
back...I had already deployed Horde/IMP/Turba/Kronolith for our webmail
clients using UWIMAP servers (before Dovecot appeared).  No reason to
change things.

>>> And I have senior moments as much as regular moments now... Grandkids do
>>> that
>>> to one, eh? :)
>> I wish I had such an excuse, Karl.  I'm 50, single and to my knowledge
>> never, uh, procreated.  At least no one's tried to claim paternity.  An
>> old "friend" told me I was the poster child for Planned Parenthood: a
>> big photo of me with the caption, "Don't let THIS happen again!"
>>
>> :-)
>
> With no offspring, you would have to be the poster *child*, hmmm?

Being the poster child would be irrelevant to whether I had offspring.
The fact I had parents (rather than being a pod person) would be the
determining factor.  Thhhpt! :-p

> I would then
> be the poster child for the Catholic/Mormon Reproduction Symposium???  7 kids,
> 3 grandkids, so far...  I still have 4 to get married, so that number will
> change. ;-)

Jeeze!  Either you didn't quite figure out just what causes "children",
or you're trying to repopulate the planet with your DNA.  Either reason
is bloody scary!  :-)

Q: What do you call Catholics that practice the rhythm method?
A: "Parents"

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -