Problem in Compiling Kernel 2.6.24 : kernel headers remains unchanged

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Sep 25 17:43:19 UTC 2008

Alok Pandey wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I am trying to compile a new kernel-2.6.24 on RHEL5(xeon-x86_64)  to
>> use /* tcp-md5 encryptions*/, but after successfully compilation ,
>> kernel headers remain unchanged.
>> The steps I followed to  compile  the kernel was :
>>
>> linux2.6.24#]  make  oldconfig
>>         >make menuconfig (to select  tcp-md5 as  *)
>>         > make  dep,clean, modules,all
>>         > make modules_install, headers_install_all
>>         > make install
>> Linux2.6.24#] mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.24.img 2.6.24
>> > check /boot/grub/grub.conf (for proper entry)
>> reboot.
>>
>> After Reboot: Checked, system is booted with correct kernel (i.e
>> 2.6.24) but still kernel headers are unchanged (i.e files under
>> /usr/include/{linux,netinet})
>>
>> Any idea ,what i am doing wrong ?
>> Any suggestion is welcome ...!

What did you expect to change?  The headers are the headers.  Rebuilding
a kernel doesn't change the headers, just the kernel, its associated
modules and the "/boot/config-(version)" file.

You also don't need the "make dep clean" stuff with 2.6 kernels.
-     If one is what one eats, then I am fast, cheap and greasy!     -