localhost name and fqdn

Karl Pearson karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Nov 27 02:29:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, November 26, 2009 7:05 pm, D. Merle Skinner wrote:
> We have a mail server inside of our firewall and a spam filter outside
> of our firewall that we use to handle all of our mail needs.  The Spam
> filter is named mailman.champion.org as a localhost and as a fqdn.
>
> We have had a few problems with our mailserver being blacklisted and in
> doing the research we have found that the mail sever inside the firewall
> that receives the incoming mail from the spam server and delvers it...
> as well as sends our mail.. also has a localhost name of mailman and
> does not have a fqdn.
>
> Can you tell me how to change a localhost name and also to add it as a
> fqdn?  An any issues inside that server that might mean as we do that.
>
> I am a beginner and need to have a step by step command line tutorial..
> any help?

I was once a beginner, and had to figure most of this out myself. Doing
it that way caused me to make a few mistakes, but I also learned and
kept learning.

The principle behind what you are trying to accomplish is fairly simple.
If you have your outside spam server with a fqdn, it's pretty easy to
just add a subdomain to your internal mail server. You could just name
it something like mail.champion.org, or smtp.champion.org. You just need
to have that name in your DNS server's files so it's recognized.

You will need to setup reverse DNS for the new sub-domain name of your
mail server because if it is not working correctly it will produce major
problems as well.

The actual commands to do all this depends on your DNS setup and your
ISP, which is required to setup reverse DNS.

Karl

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Prayer for Obama, et al: http://scriptures.lds.org/en/ps/109/8#8 (~)
---