localhost name and fqdn

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Nov 27 18:47:06 UTC 2009

On 11/26/2009 06:05 PM, D. Merle Skinner wrote:
> We have a mail server inside of our firewall and a spam filter outside
> of our firewall that we use to handle all of our mail needs. The Spam
> filter is named mailman.champion.org as a localhost and as a fqdn.
> We have had a few problems with our mailserver being blacklisted and in
> doing the research we have found that the mail sever inside the firewall
> that receives the incoming mail from the spam server and delvers it...
> as well as sends our mail.. also has a localhost name of mailman and
> does not have a fqdn.
> Can you tell me how to change a localhost name and also to add it as a
> fqdn? An any issues inside that server that might mean as we do that.
> I am a beginner and need to have a step by step command line tutorial..
> any help?

The server name itself is set inside the /etc/sysconfig/network file:

	NETWORKING=yes
	HOSTNAME=my.FQDN.hostname    <--- HOSTNAME SET HERE
	GATEWAY=your.default.gateway.ipaddr

In my case:

	NETWORKING=yes
	HOSTNAME=prophead.hci.com
	GATEWAY=192.168.1.254

That's read at boot time when the network is set up.  If you want to
set the hostname now, then run (as the root user):

	hostname prophead.hci.com

That sets it immediately.  It won't show up in your command prompts
until you log out and log back in as the host bit of the prompt is
read when the shell's started.
-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -