Trusted Grub Build error

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Dec 23 17:58:18 UTC 2010

On 12/22/2010 09:14 PM, ShibuThomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while configuring Trusted grub ,
>
> cd TrustedGRUB1.1.5 >./configure
>
> we got the error "configure error: C Compiler can't create executable."
>
> We solved this error by editing configure file with if test "x$host_cpu"
> = xx86_64; then
> CFLAGS= Instead of -m32 "-m64 $CFLAGS -fno-stack-protector"
> else
> CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -fno-stack-protector"
>
> while make,
> we are getting
> disk_io.c :151:Error:Incorrect register ''%rax" used with "l" sufix.
>
> Please find the attached config.log file more details.
>
> Please let me know how can I rectify this error.

I wouldn't even try.  This looks to be an issue with the assembly
language either embedded in the disk_io.c file at line 151 or the
assembly spit out by the C compiler at that point (probably embedded
assembly).  I don't know enough about assembly language on 64-bit
machines to comment.

This is not an issue you have with Red Hat, it's an issue with trusted
grub--specifically on 64-bit machines.  You should contact the trusted
grub developers and see if they have a fix.

> On 12/22/2010 10:49 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 12/17/2010 03:02 AM, ShibuThomas wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> How can I use Trusted grub instead of normal grub with RHEL6.0.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me to downland Trusted grub, Its compilation and
>>> installation.
>>
>> You probably need to pull down the tarball for trusted grub and install
>> it based on the instructions in the README or INSTALL document. While
>> I can't speak for it directly, it'd be something like:
>>
>> (download to a working directory)
>> tar xzf TrustedGRUB.1.1.5.tar.gz
>> cd TrustedGRUB.1.1.5
>>
>> and view the README file. Pretty straightforward.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-           grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines           -