boot problem

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Sat Jan 16 02:13:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:04:38PM -1000, blann wrote:
> Hi,
>   Having a problem at boot for my FC5 linux on dual boot with WinXP. I manually
> powered down XP while it was trying to install an update. After that, when I went
> to boot Fedora, I got a final message:
> kernel panic- not syncing- attempted to kill init
> before that I got messages "unable to access resume device /dev/Vol Group00/logV01)
> could not find filesystem /dev/root
>
> I have a FC rescue CD which brings up a set of choices- but not sure what to try
> short of re-installation. Suggestions welcome- thanks- Marshall
> blann at gte.net

At the boot: prompt on the rescue CD, put "linux rescue".

Answer the dialogs about language and keyboard.

When it asks about networking, tell it No.

When it offers to find and mount Linux systems, hit "Continue".  If it
finds only one, it will mount it.  If more than one, it will give you
a choice.  If successful, it will so inform you.  Hit OK.  At the
shell prompt, do these:

  chroot /mnt/sysimage
  grub-install /dev/hda # Assumes that is your boot drive
  exit # or ^D out of the chroot shell
  exit # or ^D out of the rescue shell

and it will reboot.  Pop out the CD.

If that doesn't work, you may need to repeat, but after the chroot, cd
to boot/grub and inspect grub.conf.  Drop a note back here to see
where we go from there.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
A man's pride brings him low, but a man of lowly spirit gains honor.
Proverbs 29:23 (NIV)