boot problem

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Fri Jan 22 05:13:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 06:04:37PM -1000, blann wrote:
> Dear Mr. McClure,
> Many thanks for the kind reply. Before confessing sins since, I put
> in the rescue CD, and reply to
> find linux was: 'you don't have any linux partitions'
> I confess that I tried to run a live disk ubuntu9.10, then did an
> install . So partition magic 8.0 tells me that
> my HD looks like:
> PARTITION  TYPE   SIZE  USED    UNUSED   STATUS     PRI/LOG
> local[C]            NTSF    132GB
> active primary
> Local disc[*]     linux ext3  103mb 0         0
> none "
> [*]                   extended     20gb   20gb   0
> " "
> Local disk[E]    ntfs            10gb     6.6    10gb             "
> logical
> disk[*]            linux ext3     9.5gb    9.5gb  0
> " "
> swapspace2[*] linux swap   470mb    0.0      470mb       "               '
>
> Any suggestions as to what I might try?

Sorry about the delay in replying.  I was hoping someone with more
knowledge than I would pipe up, the salutation notwithstanding.

Apparently your aborting of the update hosed the partition table.  Had
you not installed Ubuntu, I would have said that a guru (and not I)
could perhaps reconstruct your partition table.  But with your fresh
installation, all bets are off.

> If I try to do a linux fc6 re-install, might this work?

To reconstruct your old installation, no.  Further, FC6 is way old and
no longer supported.  I'm not up on Ubuntu versions, but if it's less
than a couple years old, it's a much safer installation that FC6 would
be.

If you want to go back to Fedora, get Fedora 12.  If you have
high-speed always-on Internet, just get the first CD, and it will do
most of the install from Internet resources, saving you the inevitable
updates after the install.

If you want a free Red-Hat-ish distro that won't end-of-life in 12-18
months, download and install CentOS 5.4, a free superset of RHEL 5.4.

> Will reinstall find the way to the linux partitions?

No.  I think you've overwritten them with Ubuntu.

> Thanks for any help on this-  Marshall
> p.s.-the ubuntu was installed on the second ntfs partition which it
> created from linux space-
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob McClure Jr"
> <bob at bobcatos.com>

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
The LORD is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear? The LORD
is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1 (NIV)