RH 9 dual boot problem

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Apr 13 16:19:26 UTC 2004

At 09:49 4/13/2004, you wrote:
>boot from thelinux cd and try to upgrade any kernel package. You should
>find an option to fiddle with the boot loader for it to give you an option
>for the dual boot.

Huh? No!

Please post responses AT THE BOTTOM of a post. If you post an answer above
a question, people have to read bottom-to-top which is a pain in the ass.
Also, please avoid giving answers which are definitively wrong.

>________________________________

You are correct, Windows overwrites the MBR without asking. Sorry I do not
have the time right now to provide a detailed answer, but at least a
general guide:

         1. Boot from the Red Hat Linux CD's with "linux rescue" at the
boot prompt. Once the rescue disk functionality boots up, you will be able
to access your normal Linux partitions by mounting them (I believe you can
find them in /mnt/sysimage).

         2. Mount the /boot partition, or the / partition if you do not
have one.

         3. Run "grub-install /dev/hda" (assuming hda is the right drive,
of course).

Done.

Please search the Red Hat site or Google for better, more detailed
instructions than this... I am in a hurry and there may be something wrong
there. Search for "reinstall grub" or something like that. But it *is* an
easy process, with no tweaking or kernel hacking necessary.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com