clarify LFS on Enterprise ES 3

J. Patrick Mayo jpmayo at northwestern.edu
Tue Aug 24 18:24:22 UTC 2004

I'm having problems with backup software (BRU Server from Tolis Group).
  It dies when backing up large files/systems.  Tolis support have told
me that I need to update my kernel to at least 2.4.24 in order to
handle files larger than 2 GB.  I searched the web a bit and it seems
as though Large File Support is already enabled in 2.4.x kernels.

1) How do I tell if LFS is on or off?
2) If it is off, does my kernel support LFS and how would I enable it?
Must I recompile?

I am using a dell box with Enterprise ES 3, 2.4.21-15.0.3.EL kernel.
If anyone has any suggestions or could point me in the right direction,
it would be greatly appreciated.