clarify LFS on Enterprise ES 3

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Wed Aug 25 14:49:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:24:22 -0500, J. Patrick Mayo wrote:

> I'm having problems with backup software (BRU Server from Tolis Group).
>   It dies when backing up large files/systems.  Tolis support have told
> me that I need to update my kernel to at least 2.4.24 in order to
> handle files larger than 2 GB.  I searched the web a bit and it seems
> as though Large File Support is already enabled in 2.4.x kernels.
>
> 1) How do I tell if LFS is on or off?

LFS is a kernel and userspace thing. You can examine the kernel
configuration file of your kernel to see that the kernel was built with
LFS. The kernel from Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 supports large files.
Whether an applications supports large files, you may need to find out by
reading the application's documentation or source code package (src.rpm).