Non-random PIDs

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Sun Aug 1 19:29:37 UTC 2004

On Aug 1, 2004, at 3:21 PM, Jason Dixon wrote:

> I remember reading a long time ago about how Linux doesn't randomize
> new process ID's, in the way that OpenBSD (among others, I hope) does.
>  Is there anyone here who follows Linux kernel development closely
> that might know why this hasn't happened yet, or perhaps know when it
> will?

I see that there is a maintained random-PID patch for the 2.4 series.
The author claims it was rejected by Alan Cox because it was merely
"security through obscurity".  I'm a little surprised to hear that, but
oh well.  For anyone that's interested:

http://www.vanheusden.com/Linux/rnd_pid_faq.php

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE