MaxDB vs MySQL

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Tue Feb 24 12:03:00 UTC 2004

Edward Dekkers <mailto:edward at tripled.iinet.net.au>
    on Sunday, February 22, 2004 5:25 PM said:

>> I know this is a bit off topic but was is the difference between
>> MaxDB and MySQL? And if MaxDB is so much better than MySQL *and*
>> it's free, why doesn't everyone use it?
>
> Was just looking at this the other day.
>
> The differences are listed at the MySQL website though. Doesn't their
> write-up satisfy your curiosity?

no. it doesn't. it talks about how great MaxDB is and how large
enterprises use it, and how it lowers the TCO and blah blah blah. but it
doesn't answer the questions i asked. is MaxDB a completely separate
install or does it require that MySQL be installed first? similarly can
you have both MaxDB and MySQL on the same computer? and again, if MaxDB
is so great, why is MySQL still being developed? it would appear that
MaxDB is already at the point where MySQL is headed, so why not just
stop development work on MySQL?

chris.