Mail relay

Michael Gargiullo mgargiullo at warpdrive.net
Fri Jul 16 14:24:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-16 at 10:13, Stuart Pittwood wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to build a a cheap (read free) mail relay to sit in our DMZ
> and relay mail between our exchange box & the outside world.
>
> The cost constraints have pointed me to Linux (of which my knowledge is
> sketchy at best), I'd also like to be able to have some form of
> anti-spam.
>
> are there options other than sendmail & postfix (I'm edging towards
> postfix coz it's not so scary!!)
>
> Does anyone know of any How-To's or other documentation which can pretty
> much walk me through what issues need to be addressed.
>
> Regards
>
> Stu

Stu,

	Check out Exim.  Very easy to config.
OK assumeing the following for simplicity sake.

exchange.domain.com - Your exchange server
exim.domain.com - Your email gateway box

Point your MX record to exim.domain.com
in /etc/exim/relay-by-domain add:
  domain.com: exchange.domain.com
in /etc/exim/relay-hosts add:
  <IP of exchange.domain.com>
in /etc/exim/relay-domains add:
  domain.com

(On this machine you can also configure an anti-virus (Like Clamscan)
and a spamfilter (Like spamassassin))

On exchange.domain.com set exim.domain.com to be the outbound mail
gateway.  It's been a while since I've worked with exchange, but I think
it's in Internet Mail Server -> Connections Tab -> Message Delivery

Point it so everything the exchange server sends out is sent to the
exim.domain.com machine.

Hope this helps

Mike