quota

Jeffrey A. St. Pierre Jasp2 at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jul 15 16:10:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Ryan Golhar wrote:

> I have the same issue, however I just added the -f and run quotacheck
> once a week...
>
> Ryan

Well,

I haven't recieved much of an answer from anyone on 3 different
lists.  I guess noone uses quota that much or they just force it.

Here's what I figured out though, basically write a script that
does this:

quotaoff -a
quotacheck -agum
quotaon -a

running by hand you can add (-v) for verbosity.
the (-m) on the quotacheck is nice, as it does not make the
filesystems read-only while checking.  People get angry when they
can't write to their home directory.  Even with quotas off the
quotacheck remounts the filesystem ro unless you specify -m.

I assume this is the proper way to use quotacheck, despite not
much in the way of documentation for this.  Google shows many
people asking whether -f is bad, but noone has the answer.

Hope this helps somone, or prompts someone with real info to
write in.

-Jeff