Most Stable Red Hat version for a web and database server

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Nov 16 14:40:14 UTC 2004

On Nov 16, 2004, at 9:01 AM, Asim Ansari wrote:

> I want to run a web (apache) and a database (Informix) server on
> Linux, I
> would like to know what is the most stable version (maximum uptime,
> secure,
> minimum bugs, high performance etc) of Red Hat Linux, I am confused of
> using
> between Red Hat Linux 7.3 or Red Hat Linux 9.0, remember I have no
> option of
> switching to some other distribution of Linux.

First, I'd like to apologize for this thread going off-topic.  I have a
hard time when folks toss up incorrect/uproven/vague answers to equally
bad questions.  That said...

Asim, I don't have any experience with Informix, so perhaps that part
of your query would be best directed to an Informix support forum.  As
far as Apache, you'd do well to setup (at least) a couple of test
servers running Red Hat 7.3, Fedora, and perhaps one of the "free" Red
Hat Enterprise clones (WhiteBox, Tao, etc).  There are plenty of
performance tweaks that can be applied to these installations;  Google
is your friend.  Benchmark the applications based on the type of usage
you expect.

In short, there is no easy answer to your question.  Testing is not
necessarily black magic, but it does require hands-on experience and
some dedication on the part of the integrator/architect.  Define your
goals and work towards them methodically.

Hope this helps,

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting