Most Stable Red Hat version for a web and database server

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Tue Nov 16 16:55:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 07:01:12PM +0500, Asim Ansari wrote:
> I want to run a web (apache) and a database (Informix) server on Linux, I
> would like to know what is the most stable version (maximum uptime, secure,
> minimum bugs, high performance etc) of Red Hat Linux, I am confused of using
> between Red Hat Linux 7.3 or Red Hat Linux 9.0, remember I have no option of
> switching to some other distribution of Linux.

Red Hat Linux 7.3 through 9 are all unsupported by Red Hat (RHL 9 was
discontinued back in April).  Although there are commercial support
options available, you really need to decide if one of the free obsolete
Linux distributions with a mechanism for security patches is the right
approach.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the most stable version out there - that's a
key design and implementation goal - there are at least 300,000
enterprise subscriptions out there.  Security releases will come out for
RHEL before any other release.

One of Fedora's design goals is to not be the most stable and secure
version out there - in fact, stability is explicitely listed as one of
the reasons to *NOT* use Fedora.

For a comparison of Red Hat Linux, Fedora, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
see http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

Informix Dynamic Server for Linux is supported on Red Hat Enterprise
Linux.  http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/informix/linux/ids.html

Based on your criteria above (as brief as they are), I think that RHEL
ES is the package for you.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA