The command "df -h" no show me the size of partition true!

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Nov 8 17:39:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:05:36 -0500, Norman Elton wrote:

> Sorry, I may have misspoke...
>
> In hunting down an oversized file, I usually use "du -h -s *", which
> summarizes the size of all files/subdirectories. It does not show
> hidden directories. This tripped me up for a little while, since the
> file in question was in a hidden directory.

But that is a feature of the shell and is unrelated to "du". The asterisk
in your command line expands to something which does not include file
names which begin with a dot.

Btw, "du -h -s *" doesn't really make sense. Because when you want
"the size of all files/subdirectories", just run "du -h -s" which
is recursive by default.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.9-1.2_FC2
loadavg: 2.72 2.40 2.20