Starting up

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Nov 19 03:35:50 UTC 2004

On November 18, 2004 01:45 pm, nitai at computeroil.com wrote:
> HI sll
>
> I got the problem thst I was running my laptop in a docking ststion today
> connected with a Logitech USB wireless keyboard. RH saw the new hardware
> and installed the new driver.
>
> Now at home RH asked me at startup if I want to keep the driver or not. I
> keeped the driver and now X does not even start up anymore. Is there any
> way I can log into the terminal and remove the driver?
>
> Point now is that X is in a endless loop and I cant even get to the shell.
>
> TIA.
>
> Nitai

Hi,
If your keyboard is functional, while X is looping, hit ctrl-alt-F1 (or F2 or
F3..).
That should get you to a console login. Login as root.
You can stop X with "telinit 3", you may need to hit the enter key again to
get back to a prompt.

You can edit /etc/inittab so X doesn't start at boot:
near the top, probably first non-commented line is:
id:5:initdefault:

change the 5 to a 3 and save the file.

Then enter "telinit 6" to reboot.
If the keyboard is ok, you can use "telinit 5" or "startx" to test X. If it
works, go back to /etc/inittab and chage the 3 back to a 5.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce