Still trying to install shrike

Blair Lowe redhat at zedemail.ca
Mon Nov 29 18:06:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 11:01, mark wrote:
> Lessee, this *is* the Redhat list, not the Fedora list...just making sure.
>
> As I said the other day, I'm trying to upgrade a 7.3 system to shrike.
> I've now tried an h/d install, after booting from a CD.
>
> It still crashes. Where the install crashes is in anaconda, and the end
> of the traceback is:
> in fsset.py, line 1260. in mountFilesystems. amd it's complaining
> AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'device'.
>
> Now, anyone got any ideas how I can get past this? I'm rather afraid to
> just do a complete fresh install, the only option I haven't tried.
>
> 	mark
>
> --
> "Get money. Get it quickly. Get it in abundance. Get it dishonestly,
> if you can, honestly, if you must." - the Gospel as preached by
> the robber barons, according to Mark Twain (does this sound familiar?)

Hi,

In my experience, redhat upgrades rarely work especially when you skip
versions: in fact we could not even do an install of rh 9 on an older
pentium II (400 MHz). After much research, we were able to put on the
minimal configuration, and then upgrade manually with
rpm -Uvh --nodeps /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/*
and inserting each cd separately: nasty stuff, and never a good thing on
a server.

The fresh install is probably your best bet.

P.S. We recommend an updated 7.3 over rh9 for a server as you cannot
change information using a text tool very well on rh9.

All those redhat-config-xxx tools do not work in text mode very well.

Kickstart on rh9 is also a bit of a conundrum: way too complex vs. the
simple text file of rh7.3 .

rh 9 blows away the 7.3 desktop, though.

Blair.

--
.ca DOMAINS:    http://www.domainsunder.ca     Computer Engineering Inc.
Tel 780 450 8494 or TOLL FREE 1 877 968 7626 (9-5 Mountain Time)