Iptables action Return; Resolved 'automatic 'Static routes - Thanks

menonrr at jmu.edu menonrr at jmu.edu
Sun Oct 10 16:36:08 UTC 2004

10/10

My thanks to Ed Wilts for helping me to enable static routes
at startup

1. Made a new file /etc/sysconfig/ as static-routes. made it
executable.

2. Edited with entry for instance:
any net 192.168.18.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.6

3. service network restart

Also my thanks to Daniel Eugenin for an alternative way:

1. Create a file route-eth1 {where eth1 is through which the
route can be reached} in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

2. Edit the file with entry:
192.168.18.0/24 via 192.168.1.6

3. Restart the network.

The advice to put my firwall script in /etc/rc.d/init.d also
worked to make the scripts execute automatic.

Question:

I want to implement packet-limitting through my iptables
firewall in Redhat 9.

If I make a new chain and add these rules I would like to know
if it would work.

1.iptables -N LimitChain

2.iptables -A LimitChain -m limit --limit 5/second
--limit-burst 10 -j RETURN // Defining packet threshhold

3.iptables -A LimitChain -m limit --limit 1/second
--log-prefix "Drop packets: " -j LOG // Log limit

4.iptables -A LimitChain -j DROP

Would the rule 2 return to the calling chain say INPUT chain
if the limit is not reached; AND if the limit is reaches log
and drop the packets with rules 3 and 4?

Thank You.
Sincerely,

Menon