Network Card Error, ipconfig report error on eth0

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Oct 28 02:56:39 UTC 2004

On October 27, 2004 06:27 pm, Marco A. Ramos wrote:
> Hello every one,
>
> I have a RedHat server with 3 network card, two are working fine, but the
> other (eth0) is having problems, if I use ipconfig I can see many error
> report it.
>
> This problem card (eth0) is equal then the eth1, both has the same driver,
> and similar configuration.
>
> This networks are just use it for transmit and receives small plain text,
> so the problem card is working but block all files greater then 700b and
> some smaller pass but get empty.
>
> I'm looking for differences between the eth0 (bad card) and eth1 (good
> card) and I just found one (I don't see IRQ collision), when I check the
> file /proc/pci the eth0 (bad card) has after Master Capable. No bursts. and
> the eth1 (good card) has Latency: 32, I believe that these is the problem,
> because I saw many other configurations and all have Latency: and number,
> but I don't found information about what it mean "No bursts" and how change
> it to Latency:32.
>

> Any body know some thing about it?
>
> Thank you so much,

<...snip>

Looking at ifconfig for eth0:

The bad frames would appear to be a key. The nic may have a bad buffer of
something. Is there a switch at the other end, you could try a different port
in case the switch port is sending bad frames.

Do you have a different machine to try the 'bad' nic in? (or another nic to
try in that box)?
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce