Upgrading PHP on RedHat 8.0

Richard Hobbs richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Thu Oct 28 14:38:31 UTC 2004

Thanks for the advice, but what do you mean "source RPMs"? Where do you get
these from? For example, I need php-4.3.9 from somewhere, but the RedHat
Network won't give me anything later than 4.2.2-8.0.8.

Should I just go to rpmfind.net and download the source RPM from there?

If so, which one should I get? Fedora Core 1? Core 2? Do I get Sources?
Updates Sources? Testing Updates Sources? This whole thing is confusing the
hell out of me at the moment, lol.

I'll tell ya what I'd *really* love to have... A direct link to the exact
RPM file I need for php-4.3.9 which I can compile on RedHat 8.0.

The other thing I don't understand about source RPMs is, where does it
install the source to? Where do I go to compile it? Do I still need to run
"./configure" and then "make" and then "make install", or is there a 4th
command I need? Or even more than that perhaps?

Thanks for your help with this, I hope you have a moment to help further :-)

Hobbs.

--
Richard Hobbs (Systems Administrator)
Toshiba Research Europe Ltd. - Speech Technology Group
Email: richard.hobbs at crl.toshiba.co.uk
Tel: +44 1223 376964        Mobile: +44 7811 803377