ftp questions....

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Oct 30 14:21:28 UTC 2004

On 10/30/04 08:45, bruce wrote:

> thanks for getting back to me... and yeah.. it's running.. i can ftp in with
> a ftp client from another box...
>
> the issue i'm having is that although i can ftp in/access files from another
> box, when i do a:
> # ps -aef | grep ftp
>
> i get
>
> #
>
> which is curious.. to say the least...

It would make sense if it's based out of inetd or xinetd.  Which version
of Red Hat Linux are you running?  cat /etc/redhat-release if you're not
sure.

Also, do the following:
# rpm -qa | grep ftp

> i can even enable/disable the ftp server/service from the gui (gnome) so the
> box is actually running a ftp server/service....
>
> but i need to figure out the rest of the issues that i mentioned...
>
> in my /usr/sbin i see in.wuftpd, vsftpd, and wu.ftpd...

You may have both installed.  Go to a command line and enter:
$ ftp localhost

Let's see the output of that.  By default, both vsftpd and wu-ftpd will
identify themselves in the response text.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org