Samba and SELinux possible interaction - Problems ????

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 12 19:03:48 UTC 2005

Hi List,

I have installed RHEL4 and am in the process of trying to get up and running
with all the 'new' stuff and it looks like I may have hit a problem.

I am trying something simple, exporting a new directory from samba with the
following in smb.conf

[pub]
        comment = shared FTP directory
        path = /home/ftp/public
        guest ok = yes

The public dir is ownd by ftp and group ftp and is chmod 770.

The machine appears on the browse list, I can see the share and can even get
it mounted via smb4k , but when I try and access the share I get refused, the
error message saying "The file or folder /home/stephen/smb4k/KERMIT/pub does
not exist"

Is this the case of SELinux getting "in the way" or have I missed something
simple.

I did have something similar with Apache and virtual servers, and I had to
apply chcon -R -h -t httpd_sys_content_t to the virtual server root dir,
thats why I am suspecting SELinux again....

Any help appriciated

--
                 O  o
            _\_   o