rh-l] Email Gateway solution

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Aug 10 16:02:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Steve Buehler wrote:

> I know of one company that has a series of mail servers.  server1 receives
> all incoming mail and checks for spam deleting any spam.  Then it sends it to
> server2 which checks for viruses and deletes them when found.  Then it sends
> it to server3 for pickup by the clients.  Of course they won't tell me their
> setup, but they will do the setup on my server for a very LARGE fee.  About
> $3,000.  I could setup a separate email server altogether for that.  The

here it is for free:

0.0.0.0 -- MX 30 -|- MX 20 -|- MX 10 -- mailstore

The symbol '-|-' represents a filter - Iptables can do it fine
- which prevents any port 25 traffic to pass from left to
right, EXCEPT for the next higher numbered MX unit

Filtering of various types happens at each stage - RBL on the
'30; more smap and AV at the '20 - and it has the pleasant
effect of smoothing the inbound mail load

This is a common setup I have used at ISPs I have run.

-- Russ Herrold

--
end