RHEL yum RHN

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Aug 12 20:54:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Vladimir Kosovac wrote:

> Alternativelly (this is what we do) - one server gets updates in a common
> RHN way and once we make sure everything is working, we script/cron rpm
> updates on all the other machines. Works for us beautifully, since all
> machines have exactly the same configuration.
>
> Not sure how would you go about mixing yum with this and what yum repos you
> use. Dag's rpms work for me, since he maintains up2date repo as well.

You could try Yam to set up repositories based on the latest ISO images,
/var/spool/up2date (as was mentioned before), remote repositories with
extra software and your own local (selected) packages. And then point
up2date to all that on the local network.

This is a solution if you cannot connect all your systems to the Internet
and do not require the other RHN functionality.

You can find Yam at:

	http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/

PS It is technically possible to have Yam download from RHN using the
up2date functionality, but I'm still waiting for someone to contribute
that part :) [or some time/priority to do it myself]

Kind regards,