RHEL4 vnc-server package dependency problems

Frappy John frappyjohn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 06:59:04 UTC 2005

On 8/14/05, Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:
. . .
> this may seem like a silly question, but do you have a fully-fledged
> graphical environment running on this box already?
> running all the above queries on my box it looks like you are missing a
> number of essential packages, not least of which are
> fonts-xorg-base
> xfs
> xorg-x11
> xorg-x11-libs
>
> basically it suggests that you don't have X installed.

Stuart--

Not a silly question at all: The server has been sitting in a server
farm without a monitor, hence no X installed.

I'm doing development on it and would like to use the kate text editor
via vncserver.

I realized I'd need to install some X components, but thought the Red
Hat rpm system would be aware of that and install the necessary
dependencies.

Thanks for your reply. I'll try installing the packages you mention
and repost with the results.

Thanks again,

John Hicks