Digital Video on Linux

Gavin Young gavin.young at clendons.co.nz
Tue Feb 15 22:56:48 UTC 2005

I realise that this is not a RedHat based question but I'm hoping to
pull on the vast pool of knowledge that seems to hang out in this part
of the net, plus I'm a big Red Hat fan and would like to see the final
solution running on RedHat...

"The Challenge"

I have an interesting project but being a beginner to digital video on
Linux I'm struggling...

Background to the project:
- I need to automate the creation of a DVD.
- The DVD is made up of multiple clips from different cameras.
- Two types of cameras, 1 streaming MPEG-4 and 1 streaming DV.

Questions:
1) Does anyone know of any Linux programs that will allow me to
script/automate the import of clips from these camera's, edit to a set
template (i.e. 30sec from camera 1, 20sec from camera2) and then export
the finished product ready for burning to DVD?

2) Anyone know of any companies (anywhere) who might be able to help us?
We have come up with blanks so far. My company is willing to pay for
development work to be done if required.

I would appreciate any advice/thoughts people provide.

Regards,
Gavin