SAMBA and XP

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Tue Feb 22 15:07:13 UTC 2005

At 09:17 AM 2/22/2005, Paal Marker wrote:

>I had a problem long time ago with XP that could not log on samba. The
>problem was that the user  had installed XP home-edition, wich does not
>work with samba-server as it has no support for it.

It's not the product, Samba, that XP must support, it's the protocol, SMB,
which it does. AFAIK.

>   We found at that time that it excisted no work-arounds. XP-pro had no
> problems working with samba-server.  Is it XP-pro you have installed? If
> it is home-edition you will have to upgrade to pro.

I've got two XP home edition workstations in my office along with RH9, FBSD
4.8 and FBSD 5.2 boxes each running Samba and everything working just peachy.

Well, peachy is an exaggeration since after all we are talking about
windows here.

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387
Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal