yum equivalent in Red Hat Enterprises

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at birdvet.org
Mon Feb 14 13:06:31 UTC 2005

Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 03:14:46AM -0800, jim martin wrote:
>

>>Hi.. I want to know whether yum command is specificly
>>for Fedora only?  Are we able to use yum command in
>>RedHat Enterprises? I type yum in my RedHat Ent, but
>>it shows command not found.  I want to use yum to
>>download and install squid from the internet.  If yum
>>is not available for Redhat Ent, what is the
>>equivalent command then
>>

>You can certainly install yum and use it to install packages that are
>not in the RHEL distribution but squid is available.  Use up2date.
>I use yum to install packages from Dag's archive that Red Hat doesn't
>provide (awstats, proftp, etc.)

Yeah, but I wonder how long Dag's site will be around.  RedHat has
started legally attacking non-RH sites that use their name or even link
to them, so I wonder how long it will be before they hit Dag and make
him remove all trademarks/references/links/etc to RedHat.  (Oh, oh, I
used the 'RH' word, I wonder if a lawyer is going to come knocking on my
door?)

Ben