Reading ODS-2 SCSI Hard Disk under Linux

Brian.Hall at gd-ais.com Brian.Hall at gd-ais.com
Thu Feb 17 15:08:48 UTC 2005

I am trying to read data off of a SCSI hard disk connect to my linux
machine.  I am trying to get the data that I need off of the disk, and read
it using some sort of reader.  So far, my largest setback is HDD space.  I
wanted to image the whole disk onto the machine, but due to lack of HDD
space, and the SCSI drive being 9GB, this is not economical.  What I have
done so far is using the dd command I have read about 1GB off of the disk,
checked for strings and I see that there is a string the the file I want
actually exists on the disk.  I then am trying to use and ods2 reader to
read the data, but I cannot get the to work correctly.  When I try to read
the directory [000000] on the image, it tells me the directory does not
exits.  So as of now, my options are to keep fiddling with the ods2 reader.
Another option I have come up with is to image the drive to a tape disk, so
I could access the data directly.  The ODS-2 HDD will not mount correctly in
Linux.  I was also looking at a VAX simulator, but that is going to be last
resort as I am on time constraints.  If anyone has any information on
reading or mounting an ODS-2 file system SCSI HDD on a Linux machine and
correctly reading the data off of it, please let me know.  The reason I was
thinking of putting the data onto a tape drive was the it seems that a
program, VMSCD, is supposed to be able to be able to read data off of any
removable media, so that is also another option.  If anyone can help, that
would be great.  Thanks.