Re: Installing vsftpd - Thanks for Greshko

xinetd is just another frontend for starting and stoping applications. Well..it has allot of other good things as well....but for this explanation one must understand you can create an xinetd file and place it properly. I have a generic xinetd file I always use to template new apps. I simply edit the file and rename it to whatever I need to call it. There is a few other things to do as well, but I hope you get the point. which is you make xinetd handle any application.

--
robert

Shiraz Baig wrote:
Wish to thank Ed Greshko greshko com!

I did do "chkconfig --list vsftpd" and I got the
answer that it is off in all the levels.
Bur Greshko's first sentence did the trick. He had
said, why do you assume that vsftpd file will be in
/etc/xinetd.d.

So, I did a "rpm -ql  vsftpd" to list all the files. I
saw the inititation file sitting in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd. So I did
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd  start" and it really
started!
I can now use it. Thanks.

But I was just wondering, why is it not being
controlled by "xinetd"? Any suggestions?