rpm -Fvh glibc* hanging

Jack Byers byersj at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 17:36:43 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 09:46:19PM +0000, Jack Byers wrote:
>redhat8.0
>trying to upgrade glibc,  rqrd to install firefox

Ed Wilts responded:

Short answer:  never, ever, froce to force an install of glibc.  Unless
you really, really know what you're doing, you *will* break your system
to the point of requiring a restore from backups or a fresh install.

>any advice much appreciated

Back up your data files, do a fresh install of Fedora Core 4, and
restore your data.
--
Ed Wilts, RHCE

I am not sure what your "froce to force" means
but your main point is well taken,
I obviously didnot, donot "really, really know what I am doing",
re trying to upgrade glibc

The google old msg i found  was dealing w my exact situation
ie rh8.0, needing  update of glibc inorder to install firefox.
And, I had thot the
  rpm -Fvh glibc*rpm
command was safe
no "force" option or "nodeps" or anything like that,
on either my first  one-long-command attempt
or on subsequent  attempts after downloading the indiv rpms.

I also have wbel3 as a dual boot   so i dont really need FC4 right now;

but i would like to retain the rh8.0  because of a legacy app....

so I am still looking for advice re my current mucked up
glibc situation on rh8.0
-- can i leave it this mixed way?
    this box is still running,  possible trouble on reboot?

-- is it worth trying to  use rpm -Fvh  on oldversions of
glibc-,glibc-common
to at least get me back to where I was before starting this process?
I am willing to give up attempts at installing firefox on rh8.0

thanks
Jack