FC3 and Dell 2850

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Thu Jul 28 02:00:04 UTC 2005

Just a heads up.

I have three Dell 2850's with Dual Xeon processors and 2G RAM on which I
have installed Fedora Core 3.  All three will lock up when I start
either twm or xfce along with the SMP kernel (2.6.11-1.14 and
2.6.11-1.35) and try to drag anything with the mouse.  If I run the
non-SMP kernel everything appears to be fine.  The error reported on the
dell LCD is C070 which support tells me is a hardware processor error.
Dell asked me to return one of the machines to their engineering
department so I guess they are taking it seriously.  Unfortunately the
replacement they sent has the same problem.

This only happens if I start the graphics at the console.  So far the
machines work fine in runlevel 3 and VNC is unaffected.

--
Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Unix and Network Admin