XFree86 4.3.0

Wayne Betts wbetts at bnl.gov
Mon Mar 28 19:58:10 UTC 2005

I've had some odd results with X configuration on RHEL 3 and rebuilds
after installation that sound like the same thing.  Assuming the card
really is supported natively, I can usually get things to work as
expected by starting the redhat-config-xfree86 tool, going to the
advanced tab, and hit the configure button for both the monitor and the
video card.  In each configure window, hit the "Probe" button.
Once that is done, then go back to the basic tab and select the video
mode you want and apply.  Restart X (log out or reboot) and see if that
does it for you.

For some reason, the installation's x config routine rarely (if ever?)
gets this all right, even if you go through it during the installation
and it seems to be the same utility.  That's pretty basic, but it has
been the solution for me many times in what sounds like the same
situation.

HTH,

Wayne