acls on files

James Cooley jcooley at fit.edu
Mon Mar 21 21:47:50 UTC 2005

ACL support works pretty good in RHEL 3 and 4.  Just add the option acl
to your fstab file similar to the following:

/dev/Volume00/slash     /                       ext3
defaults,acl        1 1

, and remount the filesystem like so:

mount -o remount /

After that is done, you can use getfacl to get the acls on a file,
setfacl to set the acls on a file.  For example,

setfacl -m g:guests:r-x  filename

Will give users in the guests group read and execute access to the file
called filename.  You can set acls on directories as well.

Samba will also allow you to propagate acls set on a directory to any
file created under that directory by using the following options in your
smb.conf file:

map acl inherit = Yes
inherit acls = Yes

I hope this helps,