RedHat Server hangs... how to troubleshoot.

Lunt, Nick Nick.Lunt at wesleyan.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 09:32:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

Im afraid I dont know what you mean by the datacentre, we use the ilo to get console access via ssh.
If it is the console thats actually hanging as well as the system and the led is orange then I'd be logging a call to support :(

Is oracle installed on the box ? There's a problem with 10G at the moment where is constantly eats memory, but I believe the very latest version of 10G has fixed this.
Have you checked the available memory ?

A simple way to watch basic swap/mem info is "watch free" . It  might be worth doing this when the machine is working and looking if something is eating the memory, if so use other tools to find out what it is.

I take it you've scoured the messages file for anything out of the ordinary, and any log files for applications running on the server ?

I'd also try and run an extended memory test at boot see if it brings anything up.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Nick .