Subject: defragfs

Tom Greaser tgreaser at hsc.wvu.edu
Tue Oct 18 17:36:49 UTC 2005

ok. so it looks like your using a  jfs tool on a NON jfs filesystem.
so no luck with that!!!
No.. from what i do know.. redhat / linux with ext3 fs do not do
defrags the way your thinking of.. I do know that the kernel/ext3 mods
do cool things to keep the fs from getting fragmented..!! while writing
data to the drive...dont have my book handy to tell you just what it
does.. but will post it
when i find it..

if you can.. try the tar and format your partion again and untar your
stuff
and do a fsck to see how much is discontiguous..

or even just copy the data from one partion to another..
cp -r -p /source  /temp
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda??
mount /source
cp -r -p /temp /source