ext3 vs reiserfs

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Oct 21 23:33:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 01:13:10PM -1000, Alvarez, Angelo CIV NAVPACMETOCCEN JTWC wrote:
> I have 2 partitions that are 1.4 TB and was wondering whether it would be better to use reiserfs instead of ext3.

Which distribution?

You'll get better performance with ext3 on a 2.6 kernel than on a 2.4
kernel, and you'll get a long-term support path.  resierfs is a dead-end
product with the original developer already focusing on a new
content-addressable file system.  With ext3, you're pretty safe in
betting that 5 years from now you'll still be able to read your original
file systems without having to backup/restore the whole shot.

With RHEL 3 or 4, the answer is even more obvious - reiserfs is not
supported at all.  It breaks and you get to keep both pieces.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA