how to check if the restored and original are the same

Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA) jonathan.w.miner at baesystems.com
Thu Apr 20 13:55:56 UTC 2006

Careful using md5sum... You're going to update all the access times on all the files, if you do any storage management stuff, you're suddenly going to see that all of your files just got accessed.

Having said that... here is a script that "should" do it:

src={your source directory}
cpy=(the copied directory}

cd $src
find . -type f -print | while read f; do
  if [ `md5sum $src/$f $cpy/$f | cut -d' ' -f1 | uniq | wc -l` == 2 ]; then
    echo "ERROR: $f differs"
  fi
done