how to check if the restored and original are the same

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Thu Apr 20 16:16:29 UTC 2006

On April 20, 2006 06:55 am, Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
wrote:
> Careful using md5sum... You're going to update all the access
> times on all the files, if you do any storage management
> stuff, you're suddenly going to see that all of your files
> just got accessed.
>
> Having said that... here is a script that "should" do it:

Alternatively build the list of md5sums from the source directory
and then use md5sum -c --status to check it.  Then you can later
check the integrity of the backup even if the source no longer
exists.  (Actually what I do is I generate the md5sum list
before doing the copy, sitting it at the root of the tree).