How to rescue RedHat 9 Linux without loosing data

santhosh santhosh at rtsindia.com
Sat Aug 19 09:07:07 UTC 2006

Hello group,

Let me give you the partitions and the way I have Installed Linux on my system
I am using REDHAT 9 Linux

While Installation I have made the partitions as shown below

/dev/hda
        /dev/hda1        /             ext3
/dev/hda4            Extended
            /dev/hda5                  ext3            (Home)
        /dev/hda2        swap
        /dev/hda3                      ext3            (Backup Data Partition)

As of such when I booted the Linux last time I have found the following message

Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

so I put the Installation CD1 and was trying to modify the init, then this was the message which pop out before detecting for Linux Installations

Error mounting file system on hda1 : Invalid argument
Error mounting file system on hda5 : Invalid argument
Error mounting file system on hda3 : Invalid argument

But it is showing the partitions as of before only

The second method I tried is linux rescue in this case also I am getting same error messages as of above

My 1st Question How to start Linux machine with out loosing data in my backup drive (i.e. /dev/hda3)

The 2nd one is if suppose I Re-install in /dev/hda1 with out formatting any drive will my data can be retained ??

If not please send me the procedure to Get the backup data and start the linux

Thanks in advance

Suddavanda