How to rescue RedHat 9 Linux without loosing data

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez manuel at todo-linux.com
Sat Aug 19 09:26:54 UTC 2006

El Sábado, 19 de Agosto de 2006 11:07, santhosh escribió:
> Hello group,
>
> Let me give you the partitions and the way I have Installed Linux on my
> system I am using REDHAT 9 Linux
>
> While Installation I have made the partitions as shown below
>
> /dev/hda
>         /dev/hda1        /             ext3
> /dev/hda4            Extended
>             /dev/hda5                  ext3            (Home)
>         /dev/hda2        swap
>         /dev/hda3                      ext3            (Backup Data
> Partition)
>
> As of such when I booted the Linux last time I have found the following
> message
>
> Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
>
> so I put the Installation CD1 and was trying to modify the init, then this
> was the message which pop out before detecting for Linux Installations
>
> Error mounting file system on hda1 : Invalid argument
> Error mounting file system on hda5 : Invalid argument
> Error mounting file system on hda3 : Invalid argument

That sounds like the partition structure of your disk is damaged. Since a CD
boot doesnt find the OS either this could mean that noting on the disk is
accessible
May be an improper shutdown,for instance, due to a power failure?
If the power bounced on the way down it is possible that the partition table
on the drive got corrupted, or worse that the disk is damaged

> But it is showing the partitions as of before only
>
> The second method I tried is linux rescue in this case also I am getting
> same error messages as of above

Hmmm, also the rescue disk fail, you're in troubles, ifthe partition table is
corrupt your only choice is going to be to attempt a re-install as far as I
know. If the disk has been damaged you'll find that out during the
re-install.

> My 1st Question How to start Linux machine with out loosing data in my
> backup drive (i.e. /dev/hda3)

If the disk is not damage, You should use a LiveCD, like Knoppix and move your
data to another disk or some USB device.
By the way, you could use tar to package all your data, or maybe dd (only if
you really know how to use it)

> The 2nd one is if suppose I Re-install in /dev/hda1 with out formatting any
> drive will my data can be retained ??

You can reinstall the system without formatig partitions.

Greetings
--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

be used for urgent or sensitive issues.