Sugestions - System E-mail

redhat at buglecreek.com redhat at buglecreek.com
Thu Mar 16 18:41:47 UTC 2006

We have a large amount of redhat servers (50+).  They all run various
cronjobs as root and other users that have accounts on the machines.
The scripts and cronjobs generate output which is mailed to the local
user on the machine.  Standard cron stuff.  My issue is that these
system mails unfortunately rarely get read by anyone.  As a result the
files in /var/spool/mail on the servers continue to grow.  In the past
people used to just turn off sendmail, but they did not realize that
/var/spool/clientmqueue/ just fills up with all the undeliverable mail.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these system mails on
a large amount of servers?  I guess if you really don't care about the
mails, you could link to /dev/null.  But that seems a little drastic.