Sugestions - System E-mail

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Thu Mar 16 21:41:09 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of redhat at buglecreek.com
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:42 PM
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: Sugestions - System E-mail

We have a large amount of redhat servers (50+).  They all run various
cronjobs as root and other users that have accounts on the machines.
The scripts and cronjobs generate output which is mailed to the local
user on the machine.  Standard cron stuff.  My issue is that these
system mails unfortunately rarely get read by anyone.  As a result the
files in /var/spool/mail on the servers continue to grow.  In the past
people used to just turn off sendmail, but they did not realize that
/var/spool/clientmqueue/ just fills up with all the undeliverable mail.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these system mails on
a large amount of servers?  I guess if you really don't care about the
mails, you could link to /dev/null.  But that seems a little drastic.

Hello:
	I setup forwarding or sendmail aliases for all the system related
IDs such and daemon, bin, adm, mail ... to go to root and then have root's
email go to my Outlook email address. Yes I have to use Outlook at work.
Then if I am on vacation I have root's email sent to someone else that will
read and follow up if needed.

	Then in your email program you can put certain messages in certain
folders or what ever you want to do with them, like ignore them.

---
Talk 2 U later.
Jack Allen