why is web traffic being written to the rotated log file?

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Thu Mar 30 13:31:19 UTC 2006

Yes, it is possible to use 'rotatelogs', however, logrotate has some
additional features such as compression and scripting which may be
useful in specific circumstances. For example, I am using the
'postrotate' option to process the rotated files of SQUID for the
billing purposes. Also 'logrotate' works when it is not possible to send
generated log to other program (like '|' syntax of Apache's log
directives) and all you have is the file which is constantly written by
the server. In general, the use of rotatelogs is preferential in the
situations where you may direct log to the stdin of other process and it
is not possible to tell the program which generates log to close and
reopen logfile.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux
http://www.brainbench.com