looking for a group calendaring system - any suggestions

James R. Jones bnjrj at uaf.edu
Mon Nov 6 23:34:27 UTC 2006

Steve Rieger wrote:
> Eric Wagar wrote:
>>> I am looking for suggestions for a group calendaring program that
>>> hopefully will work with outlook.  Does anyone have any experience
>>> and suggestions with such products.
>>>

>> I know of Scalix, Sun's iPlanet Mail server, and Zimbra. I have only
>> dl'd Zimbra and Scalix, but I haven't installed either one.  Lack of
>> time to devote to properly install and look at them.
>>
>> eric
>>
> i installed zimbra, it works
>
> what exactly are your reqs,
>
> simple cals or do you want a free/busy schedule as well ?
> how big is your org
> what do you use for authentication and what mail server are you
> currently using ?

Steve,

Well I still defining the requirements.  The users have come and said
the following:

Want to see peoples schedules - important
Schedule meetings - important
Set group meetings, find best time for a group of people to meet - important
Interact with outlook calendar - important
Reserve rooms - somewhat important
Schedule campus events so everyone can see the events and in what room -
nice to have
Maybe display events on a master monitor - nice to have

Size of organization is  small  25  to 50 users max
Currently using windows server 2003 for authentication.
Mail server is a pop3 located on a remote campus.

Have underutilized Linux system to use.  First thoughts were to use a
Linux system because I do not believe I can find a low cost or open
source product that runs on windows.

Does this help.

Thanks you for any assistance.

jim