Console Login Issue

Troy Knabe knabe at 4j.lane.edu
Tue Nov 21 23:54:47 UTC 2006

I have made the following changes attempting to redirect my console to
the console port, instead of the video card.  I am running RHEL 4.4 x64.

##in file /etc/inittab

#Added for console redirection
co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100

##in file /boot/grub/grub.conf

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
terminal --timeout=10 serial console

# I was attempting to configure it so that I would see boot time
information, but this did not work, so if anyone has any ideas here that
would be great too.

at the end of the kernel line, add:  console=ttyS0 console=tty1

##Add to the last line of /etc/securetty
ttyS0

##run the following command
killall -1 init

I am now able to access the console for login, but on 2 of my boxes when
I login I am getting "Module is uknown" (without the quotes)  But on the
other two I have copied and pasted the same lines in, they worked fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks
-Troy